I remember at some point in my life reading that breakfast was the most important meal of the day, and that skipping it was a big mistake. Up until that point I was in the habit of frequently skipping breakfast, because it just didn’t seem that important at that point. Now, it’s a crucial start of my every day. And here are some reasons why I love breakfast:
– It’s my “me” time. The mornings are usually pretty quiet and undisturbed, the day hasn’t gotten started yet. There are no pressures (usually), no things I need to hurry up so I can take care of. I can take my time to plan, cook and eat my breakfast in peace. And as an added bonus, as one of the few meals of the day I can actually take the time to stop and make the presentation nice as well.
– I can indulge my sweet tooth for the day. Somehow eating sweet at any other meal doesn’t appeal to me – but first thing in the morning – yes please!
– I get in some wholesome nutrition straight off in the morning. Since my breakfast is usually oatmeal, it’s a good way to make sure my day starts off on the right foot (nutritionally and energy wise). I know some people who eat Mars bars for breakfast – I really don’t understand how they can have fuel for the day after eating that.
(Another reason I like oatmeal is that I’ve discovered it’s one of the best vehicle for different nut butters).
– It’s the one meal I really have time to experiment with and try different things. Although I kind of shy away from doing anything too radical with the first meal of the day (ruining breakfast is the perfect way for me to ruin my morning 😦 ) I occasionally break out of the box and try something new and different. Of course when push comes to shove, I usually end up back at same old, same old (which never gets old in my opinion 🙂 )
And because you really care, here are some of my rather odd breakfast rituals:
– I always eat out of the same bowl and drink my coffee out of the same cup. It just makes everything taste better 😛
– I usually read blogs while eating breakfast.
– I never drink my coffee before breakfast.
– I always scrape the oatmeal pot after I’m done cooking.
– I put my hot oats out of the window to cool before I eat them (and I bet the neighbors think I’m psycho, but it’s better then ruining the fridge with the hot steam).
– I very rarely eat breakfast past 9:00 AM (even on weekends).
So now’s your turn…
What your favorite meal of the day? And if it’s breakfast what’s your favorite breakfast?
Do you have any quirky food rituals?